Dornogobi (Eastern Gobi) province located in the south-east of the country and bordering on China, is part of the Gobi desert belt. Sand dunes Burden Gashuun, Tsagaan Els and Tavan Tolgoi stretch along the borders of the aimag (province). Dornogobi has mineral springs, such as those at Khalzan Uul, near Choir city. The fauna of Dornogobi includes argali, ibex, wild ass, black-tailed gazelle, white gazelle, and lynx. Dornogobi has a population of over 50,000 inhabitants. Sainshand, the centre of Dornogobi, located at 470kms from Ulaanbaatar, is on the Trans-Mongolian railway line. The main attraction of the region is Khamriin Khiid Monastery, founded by the famous monk and poet of the 19th century Danzan Ravjaa, however, ruined in the 1930s. Today, the new monastery with two temples is re-opened. Near the caves, where Danzan Ravjaa and his disciples meditated there are 9 stupas built to commemorate him. Dinosaur bones and fossils have also been found in the area.
This tour can be booked as a separate excursion or as an add-on to a regular Trans-Mongolian tour:
- West – East Trans-Mongolian tours (starting in Russia). After visiting the World Energy Point you continue your train journey to Beijing and do not return to Ulaanbaatar.
- East – West Trans-Mongolian tours (starting in China). Once you crossed the border with Mongolia you descend the train and visit the World Energy Point and then continue your train journey to Ulaanbaatar. There is no need to go to UB first and then to World Energy Point.
Ulaanbaatar - Sainshand (Dornogobi province) or Beijing - Sainshand
Transfer from the Hotel. Train to Sainshand
Our driver will meet at your accommodation and transfer to the train station to board your train to Sainshand (Dornogobi).
Nature Tour. Camel Trek „Exploring Gobi on Camel“
Arrive at Sainshand and move onto a ger camp. Visit a nomadic family in Gobi. After a brief introduction on camel riding start the camel expedition to explore sites of rare paleontological finds, varied landscapes and sand dunes. Boxed lunch in the shadow of camels. Dinner and overnight in camp. (You may even have the unique chance to make your wish gazing at stars falling from the Gobi sky).
Cultural Tour „Heritage of Noble Saint Danzanravjaa“. Departure to Ulaanbaatar / Beijing
Visit the caves where Buddhist monks used to meditate for 108 consecutive days. Drive to holy land Shambala (eight different types of stupas). Attend a religious ceremony at the historic Khamriin Khiid monastery. After lunch head back to Sainshand, visit the Museum of Danzanravjaa. Departure to Ulaanbaatar / Beijing by train.
Ulaanbaatar or Beijing
Arrival. Transfer to the Hotel
Our driver will meet you at the train station and transfer to the hotel.
- excursions as per itinerary
- full board meals
- ger camp accommodation
- entrance fees to monasteries and national parks
- return 2nd class train tickets (4 berth compartment)
- guide services and all transfers